Saturday, October 24, 2015

CHAPTER 4: 'REPLACEMENT GIRL'

(Originally Published Thursday November 20, 2014)

After downloading and listening to the Room for Improvement mixtape, the next natural step was to download and listen to the Comeback Season mixtape, released in 2007. I quickly learned that Comeback Season hosted the record “Don’t U Have A Man” that I loved so much and that had originally introduced me to Drake; but, more than that, I could already see the growth in his music, his writing style and his lyrical delivery, which is more similar to the Drake we know today. The hard metaphors, the close analogies, the humorous punch lines: The entire mixtape was a compilation of the new and improved Drake, and I was blown away! It was clear he had learned a lot from his previous release and, with a higher confidence in what he could do, decided to come a lot harder with the talent in order to showcase why he knew he was destined to be more than ‘just another Canadian rapper.’
And then, on a day not unlike so many other days I’d experienced at the time, I just so happened to tune into MuchMusic – Canada’s #1 channel for music videos – to see what was going on and possibly inspire a little background noise when what would pop-up next on the playlist but Drizzy Drake Rogers’ first independent video: “Replacement Girl” featuring Trey “Trigga” Songz!  
            It’s funny because, when I first heard Drake, I would have never thought he looked the way he did (being devoid of Degrassi and all …), talk about high-yellow! You didn’t get to see a lot of him what with all the dancing girls, quick or distant camera shots and extremely large and dark sunglasses covering most of his face; but it was a milestone, and it’s amazing to see how much a person can not only grow, but grow-up after coming from such humble beginnings.  J



DRAKE - REPLACEMENT GIRL 
(FT. TREY SONGZ)



What did you think of Drake’s first video?



Chapter 4: Replacement Girl. 
Written By: Jae Antoinette


AFFION:

I can’t believe she’s doing this! I should’ve known better. The woman is unstable and I started to get too close. Obviously she is unstable, or why would she be cheating on a perfectly good guy? From what I’ve heard he hasn’t done anything wrong, but somehow she ended up with me … probably because she is unstable!
            I thought everything was going fine. I know she ‘said’ she didn’t want sentiment, but we were fucking for Christ’s sake! You can’t keep fucking without sentiment. Now she wants to stop seeing me, and I would honestly be pissed-off if I wasn’t so hurt. Yeah, that’s right: Hurt; me, the Boyfriend #2.
            Now I’m out with the homies try’na see if I can conjure up and court a replacement girl for the night. Maybe for longer if she’s anything like Kendra …
            Dammit, Affion, stop this shit! Kendra is unstable, man; you’re better off without her! Now take a look at that girl over there … Yeah, the one with the big, ol’ booty and the long-ass hair … Imagine tapping that booty from the back while you pull on all that hair … Equal amounts of hair and booty just longing to be felt up by you …!
            But I’m not going over there. I’m not so desperate that I can’t wait for a girl to come over to me—and one will. Kendra may not know it, but this fellah right here has a whole lot of mack in him. Just because she couldn’t handle it, doesn’t mean someone else won’t …
                                                        

                                   TO BE CONTINUED …

No comments:

Post a Comment