Saturday, October 24, 2015

CHAPTER 20: 'STUNTIN'

(Originally Posted Thursday January 22, 2015)

Song #3 in our 4-part special is one that blows the roof off of any occasion. I love to have this song come on when my younger brother and I are jamming to tunes because we immediately feel the hype and find we’re already bumping to the music. It starts as a kind of sway and then builds into a bounce that becomes an audible “uh” right along with Drake, and then we’re ready to go in.
It’s kind of hard not to go in considering how much Drake does on this track. Again, as is usual, he comes in strong, commanding attention with the very first line, and then he sucks you in as he compounds another and another and a sister and a brother until you’re just so engulfed you don’t know whether you should be in awe of what he’s saying or that he actually said it. “I’m about to change the f***ing game—pass the remote?” Like, how dare he?
Then: “It’s coming too soon/album on the way/people ask me if I pray/I say, ‘yeah/once in a blue moon’ …” and “I say heavy metaphors/flow so overweight/I can ‘rap’ around these other youngin’s like a cobra snake/Frostbite Drizzy n**** nobody as cold as Drake/keep yo’ ass ‘inline’/don’t be try’na roller skate …” It’s all too much, really! Drake is not even trying to get these dudes with a knockout punch—he’s literally beating them to death, and all the fans can do is watch!
Then it’s Weezy’s turn to destroy and kill. And what I like about Weezy on this track is not necessarily ‘what he’s saying’ but ‘how he says it’—the overall style of his flow. Weezy raps on different levels, bringing them up and down and back and forth, and he’s always very playful. Where Drake is very straightforward with his flow and serious about what he’s saying, even when laughing, Wayne is typically the exact opposite, sometimes just saying shit to get under your skin. He plays with words; the meaning of words and the usage of words, and concocts it all so well so that it garnishes perfect placement and is very entertaining. And then, as if there were nothing else left to do, he wraps it all up in a blanket for you to take home and get cozy with and then sends you on your way. These two gentlemen are so similar and yet so unalike that they completely work when put together. And as a lover of lyrics and music and words, it’s the type of dynamic that is dynamic to witness!
So, without further adieu (if you haven’t already guessed it) our song for today’s post is “Stuntin” which was originally a part of Lil Wayne and DJ Drama’s mixtape: Dedication 3! With the beat taken from David Banner’s “Get Like Me (Stuntin is a Habit)” featuring Young Joc, Chris Brown and Jim Jones, it’s clear Drake and Weezy did enough to catapult this track into something more official than mere mixtape status. And, though both songs are equally as good, the collaboration of Drake and Weezy’s version make the hit an instant classic.
    
DRAKE & LIL WAYNE - STUNTIN'           


Chapter 20: Stuntin’. / Written By: Jae Antoinette


KENDRA:

At the club with my girls posted up on some fine black man who kind of reminds me of Daunte, but I digress. I made sure to wear my best little number with matching nail-designs and accessories, prepared to do it big tonight since it is my birthday. I got my girls to book us the entire upper-level VIP at one of my favourite clubs, and now I plan to dance the night away, and probably with this dude, while Affion merely watches from below.
            That’s right: I’m stuntin’ on him. I really had no choice. He came up to the steps declaring his name like he was on some sort of guest list and, without catching his eye, I had the bouncer politely explain that he is not a part of the group and will not be allowed access. That’s right: Back to the bottom he goes and back to my girl I went.
            How he even found out I was coming here is beyond me. I’ve ignored him, and the calls he finally wants to return, all day and have been thinking of the best way to get him back for switching up on me … And this is it. No VIP, no booty, and now he’ll have to watch me be all up on another man. He thought he could just treat me like anybody? Well now I’m ‘bout to put this body on somebody else, and we’ll see how he likes that …!
            Look at him. Right now I’m twisting and grinding all over this fellah's crotch while my skirt rides and my chest sweats … If only he could see what’s beginning to bulge beneath this guy’s trousers and how the crack of my ass is seducing him forward. Affion is about to feel it. He thought he knew me but that n****’s been mistaken and now he’s about to find out just how much … 
            

TO BE CONTINUED ...



**BONUS: ORIGINAL (VIDEO VERSION)**
DAVID BANNER - GET LIKE ME (STUNTIN' IS A HABIT)
(FT. YOUNG JOC & CHRIS BROWN)
(I love the way Young Joc is jamming in this video:D)

Check out the link below for the original-orignal version featuring Jim Jones:
        

No comments:

Post a Comment