Saturday, October 24, 2015

CHAPTER 38: 'OVER'

(Originally Posted Friday march 27, 2015)

I've been thinking a lot since Tuesday's post and it's dawned on me that I've hit a crossroads. It's been my plan and my intention to start from the bottom of Drake's music and my journey with Drake's music to eventually get where he is now. But I'm slowly realizing a lot of things that are rerouting that course of action and leading me to take a shorter path. 
             Technically, my journey with Drake's music ended with Thank Me Later because that was the last album I bought, fully listened to and played repeatedly from Drake. By the time Take Care came out, I was already comfortable with Drake as a rapper, so my interest level in anything new wasn't very high. I've recently listened to Take Care in preparation for the blog, and I can honestly say that I feel no connection to that album whatsoever. Nothing Was The Same reaches back to a more familiar Drake to me, but by that time, in real time, Drake was being bumped by the new-aged kids coming up a decade or so after me. My younger, teenaged brother, Kenny, was now a crazy Drake fan, so, when I did hear Drake's music being played, even if I liked the song, it was more of a reminiscent thing instead of a "I've got to get that album!" thing. This thought process has shown me that I am still living in the past as far as Drake is concerned and that it is only my “like” for him from that time that is sustaining my “like” for him now. I'm not as much of the Hip-Hop-head I used to be, so to feature Drizzy's albums now would be more of an analysis on his work and I'm not really interested in that. Sure, I could post a few of the songs and singles I did like, but it would pretty much end there as after Thank Me Later they are far and few in between.
             But that's for me to figure out. As much as Take Care didn't move me, Nothing Was The Same did rekindle sparks of that vibe I loved so much from Drake's previous works, so it's still a coin toss at this point. My intentions behind creating this blog were to share my personal journey with Drake's music and connect our art forms through literary pieces of work; so if I'm staying true to my personal journey, the story may be ending a lot sooner than anticipated ... 
             In the meantime, though, there are still quite a few songs to get through before we finish Thank Me Later, and quite fittingly, the only song I feel follows “The Resistance” is “Over,” which, if my memory serves me correctly, was one of the first if not the first  videos released from the album. 
             My largest memory of “Over” is Drake clad in all-white at his outdoor performance at the 2010 MMVA's show. MuchMusic had created such a stir for this performance and had built it up so much that I remember feeling a little let down when I finally saw it on TV (because you probably had to be there!). I have never been an avid concert-goer, so that was probably more on me, but the hype of the performance makes a lot more sense when I see it now because, not only was Drake doing a televised performance live in his hometown during a Canadian musical awards show, he was also outdoors, in the middle of a TO intersection, surrounded by screaming fans! Then add to that the all-white apparel, the luminosity of the stage and his band on stage interpreting a live rendition of the song, and yeah, it kind of was a big deal. I can’t recall how many awards Drake won that night, if any, but clearly his being there and his highly-anticipated performance were the highlights of the nightand to be quite honest, are the only things I really even remember about the MMVA’s to date!




DRAKE - OVER





Chapter 38: Over. Written By: Jae Antoinette



BRIA:

I haven't seen Affion for a few days now, I wonder what he's been up to ...
            Rupert's been making sure to be at the club every night I'm here so I've been on a strict lockdown. At first, I didn't see it as a problem; I liked that Rupert liked to watch me while watching out for me, it was sweet. But I can't breathe at the club anymore with him around and I can't flirt the way I used to without having to look over my shoulder, in case he gets pissed, and now my tips are suffering because of it. 
             I wish he would go home, but Rupert isn't exactly the kind of guy I can ask to stop coming. He's a real macho kind of man, and the type that knows what's best for his woman, even if it may not be the best for her. I'm surprised he hasn't tried to get me to stop stripping completely. I know he doesn't love it, but he loves me and is willing to be there for me despite his feelings. I just hope it stays that way. I can already feel myself gravitating toward Affion because it's a lot nicer to be admired than controlled, to have someone appreciate what you do rather than tolerate it. I should've never ducked out on Affion before or made it look suspicious. I could've had him all to myself right under Rupert's nose ...
             But I couldn't do that—I would'nt! It was smart of me to call it off because now, even though Rupert thinks it's all over, in my mind I know that it really isn't ...




TO BE CONTINUED ...


No comments:

Post a Comment