Saturday, October 24, 2015

CHAPTER 10: 'GET OVER IT'

(Originally Published Thursday December 11, 2014) 

There are some Drake songs that I can listen to and I’ll like it, it’s entertaining, I know it is good; but then there are songs I listen to that shift my reality, making me feel, completely beyond reason, and I almost get lost in them. It’s like I’m there, speaking the words from my own mouth, an alter ego of the music, and suddenly I’m liberated, free, and sparkling. I’m shining through something I didn’t create but feels like my own because of what it represents, and that exact feeling is what the song “Get Over It” is for me.
I’d be lying if I said it was one of his greatest, but on its own level, it is. The beat is an amazing sample of an old school song by The Sylvers, and adages like, “I don’t get bitter, I just get better” or “I keep it generic and these n****’s take it personally” or “Living life from a whole different angle/only see the road through the wings of an angel” allude to those constructive qualities I appreciate so much.
Then more amusing lines like, “Look, I stands out/don’t think this ain’t some shit that I done planned out/and life is beautiful as ever when it pans out/and girls are beautiful until they want a handout…” and “They seem to love me when the shit was going nowhere/but now they got a bunch of feelings that they won’t share/they just give me the ‘fuck-it-I’m-broke’ stare/Drake was at the club and he ball [bald] like no hair” show the insight and wit of a person who is just telling it like they see it, and with that, I truly see this song as one of Drake’s more defining singles. And anyone who disagrees is gunna have to Get Over It!

(P.s. This version is kind of fast, but it's all I could find.. Enjoy anyway!!)





Chapter 10: Get Over It.  / Written By: Jae Antoinette


KENDRA:

Yesterday I ducked a close call. Daunte and I had just come back from some street-shopping around the farmer’s market and were on our way to his place when he suddenly asked me, out of the blue, where I had really been the night he couldn’t get a hold of me. I was stunned, to say the least; a little caught off guard and taken aback, but I handled myself with a fabricated finesse that is starting to come naturally these days. Shaking off my staggered daze, I asked him what he meant and added that I had told him already since it seemed to have slipped his mind. Not particularly enthused by this response, Daunte shook his head and I could see the stress coming over him like an ominous cloud. He desperately wanted to hear the truth I couldn’t give him and that made for a very uncomfortable ride home, which I unsuccessfully tried to lighten with expressions of joy emanating from the other side of the window. I pointed at this and feigned interest in that, but all to no avail, so I figured it was time for my master plan.
            Like Affion, I had been preparing to surprise Daunte with an “extra special” treat in hopes of getting his mind off of last week’s devious event, and yesterday became the perfect time. So after he stopped riddling me with questions, and we got back to his apartment, I slipped out of my clothes and into his lap, and began to riddle him with my best moves, complete with passionate sounds. I rocked his world straight out of rotation so I hope he’ll finally get over it because I tried to stay away from Affion before and I don’t know if I’ll be able to stay away from him ever again …


TO BE CONTINUED …



#THROWBACKTHURSDAY BONUS TRACK:
(For the tons of snow that Canada's GTA & Peel Region just got..!)


DRAKE - COME WINTER

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment