Saturday, October 24, 2015

CHAPTER 12: '(I WANT THIS) FOREVER'

(Originally Published Thursday December 18, 2014)

Now, this next song may seem a little premature—especially if I’m supposed to be maintaining an order, starting from the bottom—but, surprisingly, and for those who are not aware, this song falls right in line with the sequence of events as I have embarked on keeping them. The song I am referring to is “I Want This Forever” or the “Forever (Remix)” featuring Drake and various artists. The original version of the song, “I Want This Forever” featuring Kid Kid and Lil Wayne, was the edition I was more accustomed to because of its being on the ‘The Empire and Drake’ mixtape. And so, when I finally did hear the remix – and I remember it like it was yesterday – I was very confused! I started rapping the lyrics to the original version and was unfortunately, and severely, cut-off before I could even begin! I thought Drake’s part of the song would be the same as the original, which it obviously wasn’t, but the newer verse was just as good and basically set him apart in a major way.
It was on this track, in the bars of this verse, that Drake initiated the ‘pause-punch-line-metaphor’ scheme he is so well known for and is commonly still used today. This style has influenced artists such as Ludacris and Nicki Minaj, and has even brought out the best in one of the world’s best wordplay Kings: Lil Wayne. Add lyrical beasts like 'Wayne, Eminem and Kanye to the track and you’ve got yourself a song that everyone and their mama wants to hear! And boy, did it blow-up.
The song was BIG, and an even bigger deal because, knowing where Drake had started from, he made it seem like no dream was too big to be impossible.


DRAKE - I WANT THIS FOREVER (Original)         
FEATURING LIL WAYNE AND KID KID          
 

DRAKE - FOREVER (Remix)
FT. LIL WAYNE, EMINEM & KANYE WEST





Chapter 12: I Want This Forever. / Written By: Jae Antoinette


AFFION:

You wouldn’t even believe what has happened … and I didn’t even have to lift a finger.
            Apparently Kendra and her man got into some huge fight over where she went the night he didn’t hear from her and the dude went totally ape-shit. He said he didn’t believe her, snatched up her phone and found a few unsolicited texts sent and received from an anonymous number. We all know who’s number it is – even if my name is not saved to it – and obviously so did he. 
            So I’m expecting to hear that he flips out, right? Maybe flips right out and smacks her – ‘cause if my memory serves me correctly the dude is kind of stocky and well-built – but no. He doesn’t hit her; doesn’t smash the phone; doesn’t even ask about the texts or say I told you so. He just shakes his head at what he’s found, chucks the phone and leaves. No bitter remarks toward her, no goodbye, no nothing. Just up and dips and never comes back.
She still hasn’t heard from him. No calls, no visits, not answering his phone. I think it’s safe to say that dude is done. And who could really blame him? But now Kendra is a free agent, and who do you think will pick up the pieces? I already decided we were going to be together, so all this event did was make that easier for me. Sure, she’ll be sad for a minute, but she never really loved this dude anyway or else she wouldn’t have been dogging him out the way she was by getting with me. She’ll have her moment of grief – especially if he never gets back to her – and in the meantime, I’ll be putting the smash on her so good it’ll be a minute before she even remembers his name!
I laugh, but I’m serious. Kendra is a clover. And since deciding that I want this forever, I’ve been having nothing but good luck. I was already pretty fortunate to find and snag her with her having a man, and now that he’s taken himself out of the picture, I can focus my attentions where they are duly needed …

                                         
                            TO BE CONTINUED …



                             #THROWBACKTHURSDAY BONUS TIE-IN:

                                         DRAKE - GOING IN FOR LIFE





No comments:

Post a Comment