Saturday, October 24, 2015

CHAPTER 24: 'SUCCESSFUL'

(Originally Posted Thursday February 5, 2015)

I have to be honest about this next joint. This being a very popular song, it has almost gotten to the point where I feel to skip over it. I’ve heard it sooo many times and in sooo many places I almost don’t want to put it on here just because I’ll be adding to the list! I had to dig, way down deep, and recall the days when this track was fresh and new and I wouldn’t hear it on the radio or as someone’s ringtone or in a music video! I had to recall the days when I was on my own mission and could hear everything Drake was saying as if the words were crystal clear! It dawned on me then how important the meaning behind this song really was, though that meaning has since gotten lost in the quadruple-point-three-billion times I’ve heard it!
            The song is “Successful” and it was almost hard to hear with a less-than-judgemental ear, thinking I know all there is to know about it already; but the first times I heard it, this song actually moved me. When Drake speaks of the situation with his mother I could see it happening in my mind and could feel what a situation like that feels like … “And she cried to me/so I cried too …” It probably doesn’t seem like a crying situation, but add the mood of the song to the backdrop and you’ve got heartfelt emotion. Then lines like: “I do a lot of things hoping I never have to fit in/so try’na keep up with my progress is like a dead-end,” took me back to the familiar Drake who is quotable and conscious, and: “This Lost Boy got Fly without Peter Pan/and my delivery just got me buzzing like the pizza man,” reminded me of the “metaphors.” It was all still there, just in a deeper, more mature and more expressive package.
            Wayne is one the track, too, and his part is where I usually start jamming. His ability to turn a beat into something you want to bounce or bob to is uncanny and I appreciate that in an artist as much as I can appreciate what they are saying. I want to put this question out there, though: Why does Weezy reference Toronto after talking about shit??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
             SEE YOU TUESDAY!!!



DRAKE- SUCCESSFUL 
(FT. TREY SONGZ & LIL WAYNE)




Chapter 24: Successful. Written By: Jae Antoinette


KENDRA:

At first it was all about ego, about knowing I could have who I wanted in order to prove I was worth something; but I keep getting flashes of moments I’ve actually cherished with this guy and of all the ways he’s been there for me, helped and supported me, throughout our relationship—and it makes me miss him. He was something good, something positive in my life and I refuse to let that go … again. A person can be successful at change, at growing and realizing they can become better. Of course I still want the trophy, but I am prepared to work for it a little harder now. Daunte is where I want to be, so it’s time I started acting like it …




TO BE CONTINUED …

No comments:

Post a Comment