Saturday, October 24, 2015

CHAPTER 19: 'RANSOM'

(Originally Posted Monday January 19, 2015) 

I remember my first, and only, Drake concert experience. It was at the Sound Academy in Toronto in 2009 and my tickets were only $50.00 a pop. I was so excited to go and naturally invited the friend who had originally introduced me to Drake’s music in the first place, but he passed on me and I ended up going with another male friend instead.
            It was a night to remember, being so close to the docks and the water with the city twinkling beyond it mass, and it was made even more memorable as my friend and I made our way to the entrance—or the long-ass line-up in front of it—because of this group of girls going ham and rapping every word of “Ransom” in their group of about five or six. They were going in like they really meant it, getting louder with every line they conquered, and I have to honestly say that they were the first of many little moments that made my night.
            Other things I’ll never forget – besides Drake being two hours late for the show – were the people around me where I stood in the crowd. The Sound Academy is all one level, except for an elevated stage, and I was about midway between the stage and the back, just a little closer to the left of the room. My view of Drake was about average as the Sound Academy is not so big that you won’t see the artist, but I was so caught up with the people partying around me that it became more about the fun and interaction with them than it was about the show. It was like we were all family, singing and dancing together during songs we enjoyed (which was pretty much all of them) and when something played that I hadn’t heard before I was quickly kept up to speed by whoever was close enough to be asked.
            It was great, and though I don’t remember the set-list, I do remember feeling like I was a part of a moment that held the type of significance you don’t expect, and that really made it special. So, as you can probably guess, song number 2 in my 4-part ‘Drake and Lil Wayne Collaboration’ series has to be “Ransom”, which is a definite favourite amongst Drake and Lil Wayne fans alike! I won’t break down the lyrics of the song as they already speak for themselves, but I will say that, though a winning verse is yet to be determined, the girls from the group that night were over the top for Weezy’s verse … but shhhhh! ;)



DRAKE & LIL WAYNE - RANSOM




Chapter 19: Ransom. Written By: Jae Antoinette


AFFION:

This girl cannot be serious right now … I refuse to believe it.
            There is no way she can be calling my phone—again. For the fourth time? What’s really good?
            I may have lead her to believe she was seeing me tonight, but that was before my vision got all distorted by some redhead I bagged. I didn’t want to do it (well, I did) but ever since signing my name to Kendra’s bottom line she’s become nothing but a hound dog. Shit’s annoying. And I can’t seem to catch a break. If I’ve been away from the girl for two minutes she wants to know exactly how many steps I took to get where I am and why it’s taken me so long to get back to her! I don’t have time for shit like that! If I had known she was gunna go all stalker on me I would've never hit that girl because now I can’t get her off me! I wanted what we "had" forever, but now I just feel like this girl has my scrotum in a vice grip and is holding each ball for ransom …!
            She better be careful. I’ve never been one to quit a girl, but this one just might make me tap out …


TO BE CONTINUED ...

              

No comments:

Post a Comment