Saturday, October 24, 2015

CHAPTER 14: 'CLOSER'

(Originally Published December 25, 2014)

OOOOOOK!!!! So…for today’s post I’m going to have to take a moment to mention something I unexpectedly stumbled upon this afternoon. I was just saying to my brother yesterday that it’s unfortunate that Drake doesn’t have any Christmas songs that I would be able to use as my next post, but after turning on my computer to start this current post I thought I would just look up ‘Drake Christmas Songs’ to see if anything came up. And lo and behold, something did!
            I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO EXCITED IN MY LIFE! But I found a site – that I will link below – that claims Drake was planning to release a Christmas album that was due to drop December 10th. The album was to comprise of 12 songs: some of which were supposedly titled, “How Could You Mr. Grinch?” “No Gifts” and “December 25th”. Now I don’t want to boost, but is it just me or is this one of the BEST IDEAS I’VE EVER HEARD!!!??? It could be a spoof, but during the conversation with my brother I also mentioned that it sucks that rappers don’t do whole Christmas albums because Christmas albums are so popular!! Everybody loves Christmas: Stores are constantly playing songs, sometimes as soon as November; radio stations start playing holiday tunes either exclusively or during certain periods of time; people in general love Christmas music and anyone who has worked at a public library (i.e., me!) knows a majority of the Christmas items—being predominantly CD’s—circulate to the point of having to put them on displays, which are typically emptied fairly quickly.
CHRISTMAS IS POPULAR and a tradition for most, so why wouldn’t Hip Hop have more of a hand in that? Thugs have Christmas too and besides sitting by the fire, a lot of people are out and about, partying for the holidays, having the greatest time! Relationships end, families come together … it’s a time for all things; so why wouldn’t an endeavour like that be successful? Drake could blow everybody’s mind with that album and then out of the blue, other rappers and Hip Hop artists will be jumping on the bandwagon of another innovative idea! A song is one thing, but to pull off an album takes dedication, so I don’t think something like that would disappoint. And the great thing about music is that it might start with Drake, but I can already see a lot of rappers being able to pull it off because everyone has a certain flavour they can add to the truth of their Christmas experience. And with the ability to sample from older songs, I can just hear in what creative ways Hip Hop artists can play with these jingles to tell a story!
I think it’s a dope idea; but of course there is no proof to whether this article was legit. Still and so, it’s a feat I’m amused by, and I’ll be secretly hoping that’s it’s an idea that will eventually take off.
However, since I do not have a Drake Christmas song to post for tonight, I will defer back to a song I mentioned as a segue in Monday’s post but got sidetracked from after getting caught up in rhyme schemes. The song I’m referring to is called “Closer,” from off of Comeback Season, featuring Miss Andreena Mill. This song meant a lot to me as my dreams started to take form. I was working toward turning Caught Up into something tangible, and being that Drake was my personal soundtrack at the time, I saw nothing but the possibility of good things and was very inspired forward. Hopefully, when you listen to it this Christmas season, you can reflect on your plans for the New Year and take the first step toward making them real :)


MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!! 
AND SEE YOU NEXT WEEK!!! ;)
    
     
     Article link: http://huzlers.com/drake-release-christmas-album-titled-december-25th-info/


DRAKE - CLOSER (FT. ANDREENA MILL)



Chapter 14: Closer. / Written By: Jae Antoinette


KENDRA:

Ever since Daunte left, Affion and I have been getting closer. He looks at me like I am a prime rib dinner and always asks for seconds. The other day I met him behind his building and he showed me exactly what sounds not to make in places where other ears are privy. I gulped down a breath, pulled up my skirt, and after all was said and done, got to walk hand-in-hand with my lover to a restaurant across the street.
            I’ve never felt anything like it. Affion soothes me so completely I often forget where I am when it’s just the two of us. I could live in his bed and die in his arms; and all without Daunte hovering over my shoulders. It’s not like I purposely wanted to hurt him—he’s a good guy. I just couldn’t break free the in the ways I wanted with him. I loved him and I wanted us to be together, but my body and my desire felt otherwise; so they naturally started to stray. I can’t help that someone happened to stumble along and fix it; that’s just how it went. But I’ll give myself enough credit to say that at least I did try. It may have been a futile attempt, but at one point everybody was happy and that’s all I really wanted. Daunte would’ve gotten hurt either way, so if nothing else, at least I was prepared to keep him from that pain. I may be the bad guy now, but maybe one day, when he realizes that, because of me, he was able to make the choice I ultimately couldn’t and set us both free, I won’t be. He was man enough to see that something wasn’t right and walk away from it, and for that I will forever sing his praises. I did him a favour we won’t soon forget and now we can both move on with our lives.
            And move on, I shall. Daunte’s been great, but Affion is better, and now that it’s clear we’re meant to be, all of my plans for the future will now include him, and him only …



TO BE CONTINUED …

            

No comments:

Post a Comment