Saturday, October 24, 2015

CHAPTER 41: 'SHUT IT DOWN'

(Originally Posted Tuesday April 7, 2015)

I recently read an article from Complex Music – an extension of Complex Magazine – on Twitter, and though exceptionally written from a very interesting perspective, one part of the article really got under my skin. The article compares rappers Kendrick Lamar and Drake, claiming that, though they bring different ingredients to the table, they ultimately need and balance each other because of the differences they contribute. They way the article – written by Kris Ex – explains the phenomena, there’s no way anyone could disagree; but what I didn’t like was that – once again, like everything else in life, unfortunately – the comparatives came down to race and culture.
In a highlighted quote from Kris Ex, he writes that Kendrick Lamar is “making music about the Black experience, while Drake is … making Black music for White people” and I couldn’t disagree more. Yes, Kendrick is a Black man so his perspective will be from that role, but Kendrick’s experience is Kendrick’s and is not a representation of the entire “Black” experience, just as Drake isn’t making music “for” white people just because a large demographic happens to “like” his music. Kendrick is making Kendrick-music and Drake is making Drake-music, I don’t see why everything has to boil down to race and the implications behind it. (And, in the same breath, would that mean that White people can’t or shouldn’t listen to or like Kendrick Lamar because it’s not “their” experience? Plus, last time I checked, Drake was a combination of both Black and White, so wouldn’t he technically have a right to both without “trying” to be either? It’s all just so ridiculous, people!) We’re coming up in a time where every individual is their own person regardless of race, gender, culture or creed, so why do others insist on going backwards and pointing out things that are no longer relevant? Yes, I understand that racism is a big and hurtful part of history and is an attribute that can still be found all over the world—but why add to it? Why implement it and give it strength to grow? Just as much as it exists, exists those who are beyond it and are nurturing their children to be the same way, so why nurture the negative? These things will only matter as long as we let them and in order to move forward and progress into something more spiritually sound as a collective, racism needs to be left in the past with whoever developed it. We are an ever-evolving people with ever-evolving knowledge, so I find it ludicrous that people still allow themselves to be so one-dimensional as to not see beyond skin-colour. Whether in Hip Hop, on the internet or right on your front doorstep, compartmentalized ignorance will stay alive as long as we let it, so it’s time we finally shut that shit down! The world would be so much better off.
For reasons that always tie-in with their preceding intro, tonight’s feature song is “Shut It Down.” This song was “Unforgettable’s” successor on my favourites list and I can still feel the mood that kept me so in love with this song for so long. It carries the same aromatic ambiance as “A Night Off” and “Houstatlantavegas” but is a lot sexier for some reason. The Dream’s musicality is a force to be reckoned with, and with Drake directing the tone, how could it be anything but persuasive?   



DRAKE - SHUT IT DOWN





Chapter 41: Shut It Down. / Written By: Jae Antoinette



AFFION:


I must’ve been the happiest man sitting alone in that restaurant, waiting to see if Kendra would show. Deep in my heart I knew she would, but that didn’t keep my nerves from hitting the roof. I was all-kinds of jittery and all-kinds of nervous before she walked in, but when I finally saw her she was everything I've ever imagined in the form of a women right before my eyes. Everything from her stroll to her look was Kendra and I was fascinated by the man I felt myself become as I stood before her. 
            I got up from my seat, pulled out her chair and watched her sit like the prettiest lady I'd ever seen, and I felt good to know I could be that man. She deserved that man and I deserved her, so I was prepared to make it last. 
            I have to laugh. Kendra easily replaces every girl I've ever thought to be with. The way she shut it down at the restaurant, looking like the finest red wine I'd ever tasted, reminds me of something she said later that night. I see what she means now ...




                        TO BE CONTINUED ...                        

No comments:

Post a Comment