Saturday, October 24, 2015

CHAPTER 18: 'I'M GOING IN'

(Originally Published Thursday January 15, 2015)

This next song is a part of a four-part series I want to continue for the next four posts—including this one. All of these songs are Wayne and Drizzy callabo’s, but more specifically the earlier callabo’s that became the most well-known. Both Drake and Weezy do phenomenal jobs on each of these records, but I’d especially like to point out some of the extravagant things Lil Wayne says that I don’t think he gets enough credit for anymore. Surely it can be debated who did a better job than who on each track, but I would just like to remind everyone that if it weren’t for the way Lil Wayne raps, artists like Drake and Nicki Minaj wouldn’t be able to pull of the various styles that make them popular. Sure, there are deeper influences that influenced these artists to pursue music, but I firmly believe that it was Lil Wayne’s versatility and ridiculously good – and not to mention entertaining – wordplay that paved a way for these artists to shine. So, of course, under his tutelage, they did.
            Now, in this tune in particular it is a known fact that Drake’s verse comes the hardest (and I want to give Weezy props for his “I’m so official all I need is a whistle” line, but Drake went one-up when he not only tweaked the pun saying “She call me the referee ‘cause I be so official/my shirt ain’t got no stripes but I can make your p***y whistle” but added the unforgettable “like the Andy Griffith theme song” reference to top it all off) and because of that he has pretty much been immortalized for the bars he brought to this track:

“First off, you know what it is when you heard Drake/making hoes wobble like a bridge in a earthquake”


            “Money flowing like a slit wrist—no bandage”


            “I don’t sit still I keep it moving like a drive-by …”

           
Yes, I’m talking about “I’m Going In” and there isn’t one real Drake or Weezy fan who doesn’t know all of the lyrics to this song right here. It definitely a favourite, and while also featuring a rapper named Truth on the original version and then Young Jeezy on the other, I’ve always looked at this song as the one of the first to really spark the head-to-head callabo's Drake and Weezy are best known for to this day.


DRAKE & LIL WAYNE (FT. TRUTH) - I'M GOING IN             


DRAKE & LIL WAYNE (FT. YOUNG JEEZY)          



Chapter 18: I’m Going In … Written By: Jae Antoinette


KENDRA:

I don’t know what’s been going on with Affion lately, but he has been acting so strange.
            Not too long ago he was holding my hand in public places and calling to find out when I’d be available to see him, and now I can’t even get him to call me back when he knows I’ve been calling … I don’t know what I’ve done.   
            I’m going insane trying to figure out where he could be and what he could be doing why he wouldn’t see my missed calls, but it is all beyond me. I thought I had his schedule down-pat, and yet he keeps disappearing where I can never seem to find him.
I’m onto him, though. If there’s one thing I’ve learned playing this game it’s that there’s always one player who outshines the others. And that’s, my dear friends, is me. So let mister Affion think he’s pulling one over on me, and we’ll just see who gets the last laugh …

           
TO BE CONTINUED ...

No comments:

Post a Comment