Saturday, October 24, 2015

CHAPTER 36: 'LIGHT UP'

(Originally Posted Friday March 20, 2015)

What other song could possibly follow “Fireworks” but the heavy hitting “Light Up” featuring The Roc-God himself, Mr. Jay-Z? This song was a surprise to me because – just like his counterpart, Miss Beyoncé Knowles – it isn’t everyday Mr. Sean Carter shows up as a feature on a rookie’s [sophomore] album. (And I say ‘sophomore’ because, even though unofficial, So Far Gone was pretty much a bonafide LP.) But it was inevitable. As upper echelon as some artists are, you can’t ignore talent when it makes itself known, and so “Light Up” became the first of a select few songs to feature the two highest rated rappers in the game right now.
            I have to admit that while it’s a known fact that Jay-Z is considered ‘the God’ of rap, I was never a huge fan. When picking sides in his most well-known past feud, I always went with Nas, who I found more poetically inclined and more rhythmically sound. I couldn’t handle the way Jay-Z approached a beat and was only commercial enough to rock to him while partying. Nas fed my soul, and though Jay-Z was bringing people up in the business, I was always more interested in artists who brought artistic truth to their music, without all of the gimmicks and flash of trying to sell. But now my feelings have changed as I realize how necessary and entertaining flash and sales are. And though I wouldn’t consider myself a complete sell-out, I am more appreciative of Jay-Z’s contribution to Hip Hop now. Will I be back-tracking and going through his albums one by one? Probably not. But I like how he has adapted to the times in terms of his delivery and I now look forward to hearing him on tracks or featured with other artists.
            As for Drake in this song, I can’t imagine how much of an honour it must have been to record a song with every rapper’s idol. Drizzy definitely held his own, making the wise choice to spit the first verse (otherwise it would have been a tough act to follow) and the collaboration was an overall success. But the question has to be asked: Will Drizzy ever make a song featuring or attributing credit to the one and only Nasir Jones as well?


           

DRAKE - LIGHT UP (FT. JAY-Z)

      


Chapter 36: Light Up. Written by: Jae Antoinette


BRIA:

Affion finally found my number! And I think he called more out of surprise but I don’t mind, it was just good to hear his voice.
          I told him I could bring a bottle over and we could light up if he was feeling like company, but he didn't sound too enthused. Instead, he asked me what I was doing tomorrow, knowing fully well I'd be at the club, so I showed up anyway, clad in my tightest leggings - with a g-string, of course - and no bra. He looked all kinds of surprised, but I wasn't tripping. I just wanted to apologize for Bert's behaviour and let him know we were still cool. I wasn't really trying to "do" anything, but I guess I wasn't against something happening either, so it was my turn to be surprised when, after a few tokes and a drink, he politely asked me to leave. 
            I don't know what it is about this guy that keeps me coming back, but it's like I can't get him out of my system. I know I should be keeping my distance but I already know it's only going to be a matter of time until I'll want to see him again ... 


TO BE CONTINUED ...   




**Double Bonus Features**

JAY-Z - SUNSHINE


NAS - LET THERE BE LIGHT


No comments:

Post a Comment