Saturday, October 24, 2015

CHAPTER 7: 'DO IT NOW'

(Originally Published Monday December 1. 2014)

Diverting from Comeback Season for a moment, I think it’s only right I follow-up my previous post, but correctly mentioning one of my favourite Drake tracks of all time: “Do It Now.” Now, this song is not to be confused with my selection of favourites from off of Drake’s various mixtapes & albumsno. This one is, by far, in a class of its own. 
            I heard this song after downloading a mixtape called “Heartbreak Drake 2” and nothing was the same again! I instantly fell in love with this track and it soon became the accumulation of everything ‘Drake’ to me. The beat, the lyrics, the delivery, the message … something about it just rang true and I still jam out to it to this day. In my first post I mentioned that I had been working on the finishing touches to my first novel Caught Up and it was this song, “Do It Now,” that prompted me to self-publish.
As is still true with my journey right now, I had been querying agents to no avail; but for some reason, when I heard this song, it was like a wake up call for me. “Don’t sit around and wait, do it now!” it beckoned, and I felt compelled to listen. Besides writing the book, it was my first real step in saying, “I am a writer, and I’m serious about it!” And because of that, just publishing the book in a ready-to-read format was an awesome experience for me.
I don’t owe my writing to Drake, of course, but I will always appreciate the influence the growth of his career and his music has had on me in the pursuit of my goals (to be a full-time writer) even to this day. J




DRAKE - DO IT NOW




Chapter 7: Do it Now. / Written By: Jae Antoinette


KENDRA:
             
Well, I got it done … and it was goooooood! Backwards, sideways, upside down: the man had me squirming in ways I didn’t know I could move! I knew the sex we had was good, but there were no holds barred in that last brawl and we just went round for round after round … Then I spent the night. And I’ll be the first one to say that is usually a no-no, but how could I leave? The man had expended a tremendous amount of energy on me, and I was pooped! And who wouldn’t be? After an escapade like that it would practically be an insult NOT to stay, and I am not trying to go there again. Affion has been very reasonable throughout this whole ordeal and I’d rather not cause another kerfuffle where he's concerned. Besides, life is pretty good when both of my men are happy.
            Speaking of which, I was supposed to text my boyfriend to explain why he didn’t hear from me at all last night and I better do it now before it creates an argument. He's been quite agitated lately and no matter how buttery I act towards him, he doesn’t seem to be letting up. I’m almost positive not responding to his texts for over 12 hours will cause a stir, but I’m hopeful that I can soften him up with a little night-time magic. We don’t always get to share nights together, but perhaps I’ll have to surprise him with a gift slightly similar to Affion’s last present … I mean, I’ve never done it for my boo before, but maybe I will do it now …


                                                         
                                                       TO BE CONTINUED … 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment